Find a Cannabis Doctor
Medicinal Cannabis Practitioners
On Seeking Physician Approvals
Prop. 215 patients should begin by consulting with their own physicians about medical use of cannabis. If you don’t have a medical record of treatment for serious illness, you may not be eligible for marijuana under Prop. 215. To qualify, patients must obtain a physician’s “recommendation” or “approval” (NOT prescription) to use marijuana (SAMPLE recommendation form ). No official registration is required. Marijuana can be recommended for ANY serious condition for which it provides relief; over 250 uses have been reported.
Many physicians wrongly fear that they can be prosecuted under federal law for recommending marijuana medically. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a permanent injunction by the U.S. District Court in Northern California forbidding the government from punishing California doctors for recommending marijuana under Prop. 215. The US Supreme Court has upheld the Ninth Circuit’s ruling (Conant v. Walters: Oct. 15, 2003). Physicians are accordingly free to recommend marijuana for their patients, so long as they don’t actually assist them in obtaining it (see California NORML’s Medical Marijuana Guidlines for physicians). Over 1500 California physicians have recommended medical marijuana under Prop. 215. None have been federally prosecuted for doing so.The following licensed California physicians are available for consultation as medical cannabis specialists. Patients should have a documented medical record of diagnosis and treatment or a physician referral.
Some commercial clinics have been issuing recommendations through physician’s assistants rather than directly through M.D.s. The legality of this procedure has been challenged by law enforcement. If your recommendation has not been issued by a licensed M.D. in person, it may not hold up in court. Patients are advised to check and make sure they are seeing a real M.D., not just an assistant.
Patients should be aware that the state medical board has investigated a number of Prop. 215 physicians on account of complaints by law enforcement that they are overly lax in issuing recommendations. Patients should not assume that a single casual recommendation will automatically guarantee them immunity from potential criminal charges. It is important that you establish a record of regular professional care for your illness.
- Dr. Roger Stephen Ellis, San Francisco Cal.: Phone (415) 681-0823www.PotDoc.com
- Dr.Frank Lucido, Berkeley Cal.: Phone (510) 848-0958 www.drlucido.com,www.medboardwatch.com
- Dr. Gene Schoenfeld, Sausalito, CA: Phone (415) 331-6832
- Dr. Tod Mikuriya, El Cerrito/Berkeley (psychiatrist): Phone (510) 525-1278www.mikuriya.com.
- Dr. Hanya Barth – San Francisco (415) 255-1200; Santa Rosa (707) 568-0420; Colfax (530) 210-4450. www.howardstreethealthoptions.com
- Dr. Hany Assad, 1504 Franklin St #101, lower level, Oakland (510) 839-0723, Open M-SA 10-4 www.norcalhealthcare.org.
- Dr. Tom O’Connell (510) 444-5771 (Oakland) www.doctortom.org
- Dr. William R. Turnipseed, Citrus Heights - Sacto: Phone (916)722-3433
- Dr. Marion “Mollie” P. Fry, California Medical Research Center (office in Cool,El Dorado Co, CA). www.cannabisdoctor.comPhone 1-866-4-DocFry
- Dr. William Toy, Grass Valley (Nevada Co.): Phone (530) 273-5690
- Dr. Stephen Banister, 1117 E Main St #C, Grass Valley (530) 274-2274
- Dr. Jeff Hergenrather, Sebastopol (Sonoma Co.): Phone (707) 484-7720
- Norcal Healthcare, 527 S. State St. Ukiah (707) 468-7400
- Dr. William Courtney, 1225 Main St. Willits (707) 459-4420
- Dr. Raymond Rowell, Livermore (925) 443-3232 www.lpcma215.com
- Dr. Philip Denney and Robert Sullivan:
- 1522 Charles Dr, Redding (530) 242-6784,
- 4709 Engle Rd#5, Carmichael (Sac’to County) (916) 978-9777
- Medicann(Dr. Jean Talleyrand) (Modesto, Oakland, SF, Santa Cruz, Sacto, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Ukiah )866-632-6627 www.medicannusa.com
- Dr. Thomas Sazani, 149 S. 1st St. #C, Orcutt (Santa Maria) (805) 938-3151
- Medical Cannabis of Fresno ( Dr Terrill E. Brown) (559) 498-3393.
- Dr. Claudia Jensen, 8 N. Fir St Ventura; and 34281 Doheny Park Rd 7538 Capistrano Beach (805) 648-LOVE (5683).
- Madison Burbank Medical Center (Dr. McBeth) 678 S. Indian Hill Blvd #302, Claremont (909) 626-9131.
- Natural Care for Wellness (Dr. Cristal Dawn Speller), Ventura/Santa Barbara/San Fernando Valley (310) 975-5832 naturalcare4wellness.com
- Dr. WilliamEidelman, 1654 N. Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles (323) 463-3295 www.dreidelman.com
- CC for Wellness: Dr. Tom Zaharakis & Dr. Eve H. Elting Malibu, North Hollywood, Long Beach 1- 877-CCW-4201 www.cc4wellness.com
- Dr. James Eisenberg, Santa Monica 877-468-5874
- Dr. Christine Paoletti, 1304-15th St #405, Santa Monica 310-319-6116 www.cannadvise.com
- Dr.Vivi Stafford Mathur, 6051 San Vicente, Los Angeles (323) 954-9162
- Dr.Dean Weiss, 122 S. Lincoln Blvd #205, Venice (310) 437-3407
- Dr. Wesley Albert, 1605 W. Olympic Blvd #9090, Los Angeles (213) 477-4186
- The Holistic Clinic (Dr. Daniel Cham) 1700 Westwood Blvd. #201, Los Angeles (888) 420-2546 www.my420clinic.com
- Dr. Anna Gravich, 425 S. Fairfax Ave. #302, Los Angeles (323) 954-0231. www.myspace.com/cannabisdoctor
- Aldridge Medical Inc (Dr. Shawn Aldridge), 8932 Woodman Ave. #102, Arleta (818) 920-6800. Open Tu-Th 10-5.
- Pain Center Medical Group, Dr. Michael Gitter, 18534 Via Princessa #2, Santa Clarita (866) 324-4324
- Dr. Craig S. Cohen, 462 North Linden Drive, Suite #247, Beverly Hills CA 90212 (323) 939-2248 www.craigcohenMD.com
- Dr. Philip Denney and Robert Sullivan, 22691 Lambert St, Lake Forest, Orange County(949) 855-8845
- Dr. Robert Sterner, San Diego: Phone (619) 543-1061
- Dr Alfonso Jimenez:
- Dr. Joseph Altamirano, Orange County (949) 551-6447
- Dr. Kenneth Johnson, MediMAR Clinic, 2667 Camino Del Rio, South #315, San Diego (619)297-3800 www.medimarclinic.com
- Dr. Joseph Durante, 72205 Painters Path, Palm Desert (760) 341-7777
- Norcal Health Care, 2808 F St. #D, Bakersfield (661) 322-4258
- Medicann (Dr. Jean Talleyrand) San Diego, W. Hollywood 866-632-6627www.medicannusa.com.
- Alternative Care Consultants: www.accsocal.com(866) 420-7215
California Physician Referral/Recommendation
- California Alliance for Medical MJ Patients (Ventura – LA area) (805)890-1365
- Pacific Support Services – 8921 Sunset Blvd. Greater LA 877-468-5874
- Natural Remedies Health Center Clinic- 2141 Broadway #8, Oakland (510)444-5771.
- West Hollywood Medical Marijuana Evaluations 866-468-5876
- 420Wellness Today- Medical Marijuana Recommendations – Chino, CA
Email: email@example.com – Fax: (714) 494-7489
- Cannabis-THC Foundation – 4485 Wadsworth Suite 302 Wheatridge, CO. Contact: Scott 303-403-9996
- Patients’ info: www.sensiblecolorado.org (720)890-4247
- Medical Marijuana of Hawaii (Dr. Jimenez) 91-896 Makule Rd. #102, Ewa Beach, Oahu (808) 228-0625 www.medicalmarijuanaofhawaii.com
- Dr. Robert Ley, Maui (808) 874-5141 www.mjmaui.com
- Patients Without Time,Maui – www.patientswithouttime.com
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation (THCF) 1-800-723-0188 www.thc-foundation.org
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation of Michigan 1-800-723-0188http://thc-foundation.com/michigan/ THC Michigan
- Medical Marijuana Consultantsof Nevada (702) 889-6626 www.medicalmarijuananv.com
- MedicalMarijuanaReferrals.com (702) 769-1551. Hours M-F 2 – 8 PM; Sa-Su 12-8.
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation (THCF) 503-281-5100 www.thc-foundation.org
- Voter Power Patient Resource Center, 1505 SE Gideon #100, Portland, OR 97202 (503) .224.3051 www.voterpower.org
- CannaCare patients’ support group (206) 407-3017 www.cannacare.org
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation (THCF) 206-878-1701 or 800-723-0188 www.thc-foundation.org